Jockeys can make a big difference.

In the world of professional sports, I'd have to say that jockeys are, pound for pound, the toughest guys out there. We're talking about people that weigh slightly more than 100 pounds soaking wet, and face some really serious injuries in their line of work.

They ride in all kinds of weather...from serious heat to the cold of winter. In the Chicago area, there are thoroughbred races taking place at a time of the year when sub-arctic winds are blowing across the race tracks.

They earn every cent of the money they make, in a sport they love.

Keep in mind that they do receive a fee just for getting on the back of a racehorse. Their main income is in the form of 10% of the purse money they bring in with race horses that finish 1st - 3rd.

I'll tell you about something that happened a few years back. I told a friend, at a previous job, that I made wagers on thoroughbred races. he became interested in them after hearing some of the stories I told, and asked if i could show him a few thinsg to look for. After work that day, I headed for the local off track betting parlor (OTB), and he met me there. We'd barely entered the place when I saw a race that was going to start in 5 minutes. Pat Day (one of the all time best jockeys) was on a horse that was going off at 12 - 1 odds.

"Huh."
"What? Is it something important?"
"Pat Day is a fantastic jockey. He tends to win 1 out of 3 times, so why is that horse at such high odds?"
"So, you're saying to bet on him."
"well, I am...don't know about you."

Pat went ahead and won the race. I picked up $135 for the $10 I bet on him. My friend picked up $270 (yep, he placed $20 to win).

What this all boils down to is: Jockeys who win, tend to win by carefully selecting which race horses they will ride. And the more they win, the more quality horses they are offered to ride.

Look at your racingform/track program and see if they have a win listing for the jockeys. Find your park's winningest jockey and watch for the times when he is on a high odds race horse.

Chances are, you may be looking at a very good possible investment.

0 comments:

Designed by Posicionamiento Web | Bloggerized by GosuBlogger | Blue Business Blogger | Internet Income Guide